FRIENDLY VALLEY RECREATIONAL ASSOCIATION, INC. Revised 6/20/01, 12/30/13, 1/16/13, 1/16/15, 1/11/16, 4/10/17, 4/4/18, 4/9/18
SENIOR CITIZEN HOUSING DEVELOPMENT DEFINITION AND POLICY This Senior Citizen community refers to California Civil Code Section 51.3 for all definitions and restrictions. One person in residence must be a senior citizen 55 years of age or older; each other resident, except the spouse or cohabitant or a person who resides with and provides primary physical or economic support to the senior citizen, must be at least 45 years of age. Temporary residence as a guest of a senior citizen by a person less than 45 years of age is permitted only for a maximum period of 90 days in a 12 month period.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY: Membership in the Recreational Association is based on Unit ownership. [Revised 12/30/13] The right to use the recreational facilities shall be limited to the recorded owners of the residential units in Friendly Valley and shall not be transferred independently of the condominium. However, if the recorded owner rents, leases, or in any other way allows anyone to live in the unit in his/her stead, the recorded owner abrogates his/her right to use the facilities in favor of the occupant. In no event shall the non-resident recorded owner and occupant both have the use of the facilities. Non-resident owners are considered “guests” and shall be accompanied by a member with a badge while participating in any activity in the recreational areas. Units having more than two persons in residence shall be charged an Associates fee for the use of the facilities.
BADGES: 1. All Friendly Valley residents are required to obtain membership badges and to wear them when they are in the recreational areas, including the offices.
2. Under no circumstances shall a member loan his membership badge to anyone to use the facilities.
3. Renters and Associate Members shall pay a non-refundable fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00) for each badge.
4. All badges must be returned to the Office upon transfer of title or at the end of tenancy.
USE OF THE FACILITIES BY RESIDENTS AND GROUPS: 1. All reservations for recreational facilities shall require prior approval by at least two (2) Directors of the Recreational Association. a) Without limitation, the Recreational Association by a majority vote of its Board reserves the right to cancel or prevent the use of its facilities by any resident or group.
b) For any new reservation or Perpetual Reservation, the resident or group is barred from reserving the auditorium on any national or California Holiday and on Halloween, Valentine’s Day, Saint Patrick’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grand Parent’s Day, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve without specific approval by a majority of the Board of the Recreational Association at least 30 days prior to the event.
c) If any Reservation or Perpetual Reservation date of the auditorium falls on the date of any major sports championship competition including such dates as the Super Bowl, World Series and Kentucky Derby, the applicant shall choose an alternative date that the facility is available for use and that alternative date shall be the date of the reservation unless the Recreational Association’s Board specifically approves that use in conflict with the sporting event.
d) The Perpetual Reservation opportunity shall expire for use of the Auditorium if any such reserved use generates less than 50 people in attendance. The Perpetual Reservation opportunity for use of the Annex shall expire if any such reserved use of the Annex generates less than 20 people in attendance. Once it expires, the resident or group must re-qualify starting from the next date of a regular event. The office may adjust the use of other meeting places (move a meeting from one room to another) based on repairs or renovations to the room, the number of people attending and competing interest in available rooms.
e) No perpetual date shall be given to any resident or group for use of the auditorium for more than one Saturday evening and one Sunday evening in any calendar year.
f) Perpetual Reservations [Adopted 4/10/17] Recognized Residents or groups who have previously reserved the auditorium, annex, or a particular meeting room on a regular basis (a certain day of a month or week at a particular time) for at least two previous years shall be entitled to give notice to the Recreational Association of their intention to continue to reserve those dates for that particular venue in succeeding years. This opportunity to reserve these venues is subject to the following conditions.
2. All homeowner reservation requests shall be submitted, in writing, to the Business Office not more than 6 months prior to the event. Forms are available in the Business Office for Homeowner only reservations. [Revised 1/16/15]
3. A non-refundable $25 clean-up fee is required for the picnic areas when the use of the grill is requested.
4. The resident or club reserving the facilities shall be responsible for the clean-up and/or any damage. A $200 refundable deposit for resident’s events is required for reservations that utilize the Auditorium and Annex. Clubs will be billed if facilities are not cleaned or if there is damage. [Revised 1/16/15]
5. Residents may utilize our meeting facilities by scheduling meetings of non-profit, public service, volunteer and social organizations (outside group(s)) of which they are a member. They may invite non-residents to attend such meetings. This is subject to the following conditions: [Revised 1/11/16]
a. No more than 50 people may attend such meetings.
b. No more than one such meeting for one such organization shall be scheduled in any 40 day period.
c. The reservation of the facility shall take place at least 14 days prior to the meeting.
d. Priority of reservations shall be given to meetings intended for residents only. If there are no other suitable available meeting facilities to a group of Friendly Valley residents, that group may cause the cancellation of use by the outside group so long as they schedule their use within one week of the scheduled meeting date.
e. After use of the facility, they return it in at least as good a condition as when they first occupied it.
f. The attendees of the meeting behave appropriately for a senior citizen community, obey our rules and are not disruptive.
g. Members who reside in Friendly Valley are welcome to attend the meeting. The organization is open to enlist residents of Friendly Valley who meet their membership requirements.
h. No sales or attempted sales of products or services shall occur at any such meeting: with the exception of local homemade crafts or goods being sold for a charitable purpose.
i. No additional security or other services shall become necessary as a result of this use of the facilities.
j. If any violation of these conditions occur, the group violating these conditions shall be subject to suspension of all future use of our facilities.
6. Recreational facilities shall not be used for the sale or promotion of commercial products or programs.
7. Facilities which are not in use for recreational purposes may be made available for other functions.
8. Tables, chairs, and other furniture may not be moved from any room to another location.
9. Violation of the rules and regulations shall result in the loss of Country Club privileges.
CLUBS, CLASSES AND ORGANIZATIONS 1. All clubs, classes, and organizations are under the jurisdiction of the Recreational Association and must have the approval of the Recreational Association Board of Directors prior to organization.
2. All officers and members of clubs and organizations must be residents of Friendly Valley.
3. Membership in arts and crafts clubs and organizations are open to all Friendly Valley residents.
GENERAL MEETINGS: The recreational facilities shall be made available for general meetings called by any Friendly Valley Village Association or the Recreational Association. The date of the Annual Meetings established by each Association shall take precedence over any other event.
GUESTS: 1. A guest shall be accompanied by a resident at all times when engaged in any activity at the recreational facilities. Adult guest 18 and over may walk in the common areas without a resident member if they have been issued a Visitor’s Badge (for a $10 deposit) by Security. It must be worn in plain sight.
2. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests while at the recreational facilities and in all areas of the community.
3. Guests staying for extended visits may remain for a maximum of 90 days in a 12 month period. [Revised 1/16/15]
RECREATIONAL ASSOCIATION FACILITIES
AUDITORIUM: The Auditorium is available for meetings, parties, dinners, bingo, and other activities. A large kitchen is available for use; a $25 fee is required for all and a $200 refundable deposit is due for resident’s reserving the Auditorium. Food may be placed in the refrigerator and freezer up to two days before an event with advance approval. All food must be removed by noon of the day after the event or will be disposed of. The Auditorium also includes two Card Rooms, a lounge with a color television set, fireplace, and a library. [Revised 1/16/15]
ANNEX: The Annex is available for smaller meetings and parties, and kitchen facilities are available. If residents reserve the Annex a $200 refundable deposit will be required. Clubs will be billed if the facility is not left clean. [Revised 1/16/15]
LIBRARY: The Library in the Auditorium has many fine books, magazines, and puzzles. Materials have been donated by residents of Friendly Valley and are there for the enjoyment of residents. The library operates on an honor system and all items borrowed for use should be returned promptly when finished.
GYMNASIUM: Exercise equipment is available for use during normal hours of 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. All users must sign in with the guard prior to using any equipment. Upon individual request, the Gym will be opened at 5:00 a.m. to accommodate residents. All sign-in sheets and disclaimers MUST be signed prior to using equipment.
HOBBY ROOMS: Billiards, Ceramics, Woodshop, and Sewing Room are available to all residents and will be opened upon request between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. All sign-in sheets and disclaimers MUST be signed prior to using the room or equipment.
SWIMMING POOL: The swimming pool is heated year round for your swimming pleasure. Shower rooms and locker rooms are available for the convenience of swimmers. Lockers are for storage only while using the pool. Items are not to be left in lockers overnight. (See separate Pool Rules & Regulations)
HOT POOL: The hot pool is operated for your health and pleasure. No one should stay in the hot pool longer than six (6) minutes at any one time.
GOLF COURSES: There are two (2) golf courses: a nine (9) hole Executive course and an eighteen (18) hole Pitch and Putt course. These courses are open seven (7) days a week unless posted closed. The golf lounge is open, and starting times are controlled by the starter on duty. Guests are charged a fee as posted at the golf starter’s window. (See separate Golf rules.)
LAWN BOWL COURT: Lawn bowling is the only activity permitted on the green. Free bowling lessons will be provided by members of the Friendly Valley Lawn Bowls Club. Persons wishing to lawn bowl in the absence of Club members must notify Security prior to use.
PICNIC AREAS: There are four (4) picnic areas available: The BBQ Picnic Area, the Gathering Place, the Junior Place, and the Patio. The two larger picnic areas (BBQ Picnic Area 6 and Gathering Place) have barbecue grills and picnic facilities. Picnic tables must be reserved in advance at the Business Office.
PATIO: The patio area is located between the shuffleboard court and the horseshoe court. Chairs and a picnic table are available. No reservations are required for this area, which is open for the enjoyment of all residents.
SHUFFLEBOARD AND HORSESHOES: Flat-soled shoes are required for play on these courts. Anything that leaves indentations is detrimental to the maintenance of a smooth surface, which is essential.
CHILDREN: Children are always welcome to use the facilities, provided they are accompanied by a member. Children - anyone under the age of eighteen (18) years. Children at least 12 years of age may play on the Pitch & Putt course (see Golf rules). Exceptions: This age group is not allowed in the hobby rooms, lawn bowls court, executive golf course, or in the therapeutic hot pool. The swimming pool is open to children from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. See “Pool Rules & Regulations”.
FURNITURE: Furniture located in each of the recreational rooms or facilities is to remain in the room or area where placed. Tables and chairs may not be moved to other rooms or areas.
TRAM SERVICE: The Friendly Valley Tram provides service within a 5-mile radius on Tuesday and Friday. It runs within Friendly Valley and to a nearby grocery store, pharmacy, bank, Costco, Wal-Mart, The Plaza at Golden Valley, TJ Maxx and Canyon Country Community Center. Check the schedule in the directory. Call the Security Office at 252-2666 to request tram service. [Revised 1/16/15, 4/9/18]
PARKING: Visitor’s vehicles parked overnight in the community more than 48 hours shall obtain a Guest Parking tag from the Security Office. The tag shall be hung from the rearview mirror for the duration of the visit and shall be returned to Security prior to leaving the community. [Revised 6/20/01, 1/16/13, 4/4/18]
Any clubs sponsoring trips are responsible to inform participants of where to park. Residents going on one (1) day trips may park in available spaces in the golf course parking lot or on the street. No one is allowed to leave their vehicles in the parking lots overnight. Buses should load and unload in the golf course lot adjacent to the side door of the Auditorium. All trip coordinators must complete a Security Trip Information form and give it to Security prior to the trip leaving. They should include all non-residents license plate numbers on the form. [Revised 12/30/13] 7
USE OF FACILITIES NOTICE “All persons using the RECREATIONAL FACILITIES do so at their OWN RISK.” Any property damage and/or injury to themselves or to others is the sole responsibility of the person who causes such damage and/or injury. Each reservation request must be submitted in writing to the Business Office, where forms are available for this purpose. All reservations require approval by at least two (2) Directors of the Recreational Association. The facilities are not available for any individual(s) or organization(s) outside of Friendly Valley. Owners, residents and Friendly Valley organizations cannot sponsor events for outside groups. If a reservation is for someone other than the responsible party submitting the request, the Recreational Board reserves the right to review invitations. Recreational facilities shall not be used for the sale or promotion of commercial products or programs. [Revised 1/16/15]
The resident or group reserving the facilities shall be responsible for the conduct of guests and for clean-up and/or damage. For parties over 100 and for residents using the Auditorium and Annex, a $200 refundable deposit will be required prior to the event. If the facility is left in an unacceptable condition, the Board of Directors will deduct the amount for cleaning the facility or cost of repairing damages. If the cost is more than the $200 deposit the resident will be billed for the balance. [Revised 1/16/15]
“Impromptu meetings” must be reserved. It is important that Security be aware of who is using the facilities at all times.
Facility inspection prior to and after event must be made by both the guard and the responsible party. It is very important for the responsible party to be present at final inspection.
The Business Office must be notified immediately when events are cancelled. If the Office is closed, the Security Office needs to be informed of the cancellation. Paperwork, Security and the maintenance crew are all involved in the preparation of each scheduled event. “No shows” are costly!
Policy Regarding Private Parties: The facilities are available to all residents of Friendly Valley for functions in which the guest(s) of honor is a member. The Board of Directors will not approve reservations for weddings, receptions, picnics, birthday and swimming parties for children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, or anyone whose permanent residence is not in Friendly Valley.
SECURITY ADDITIONAL COSTS Permission to use one facility does not imply nor grant permission for guests to use any of the other recreational facilities in Friendly Valley. For all events where one hundred (100) or more guests are expected, additional Security Officers are required. One additional Officer is required for each 100 invitees or increment thereof. The resident sponsoring the event will be charged a fee for extra Security Officers which must be paid in advance of the event.
AUDITORIUM: No decorations or objects of any kind can be hung from the Auditorium ceiling. BALLOONS ARE NOT PERMITTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! (Any questions regarding this please check with a Rec. Board Member) Decorations must be removed from the walls immediately after event.
CARD ROOMS: The tables and chairs are not to be moved from the Card Rooms into the Auditorium for any reason. If tables and chairs are rearranged during use, they need to be returned to their original positions before leaving.
CONFERENCE ROOM: Tables and chairs are to be returned to the original set-up position.
BBQ PICNIC AREA / GATHERING PLACE: Please keep in mind that these areas are outdoor facilities. Upon arrival, be prepared to remove leaves, dirt, or dust that may have accumulated. If use of the grills is requested, a $25.00 grill clean-up fee must be paid in advance. Guests must be accompanied by a resident at all times when engaged in any activity in the recreational area. Please remember – The recreational facilities are here for everyone to use and enjoy. It is the responsibility of the Recreational Assn. Board of Directors to maintain the facilities, coordinate the activities, and enforce the rules and regulations. The cooperation of all residents is essential.
MEMBERSHIP BADGES All residents are required to wear their membership badges in plain sight in order to use any of the recreational facilities. Persons attending regular meetings or gatherings of any Friendly Valley group or organization are required to wear badges while using any reserved room. Exception: Persons who attend any special group function that has been previously approved—such as club parties, dances, or dinners—are not required to wear badges while at the special event. Security Officers are instructed to check for membership badges, and they have the authority to deny usage of facilities to anyone not wearing a membership badge as required. 9
GOLF RULES [Revised 12/30/13] ENJOY YOUR GOLF AT FRIENDLY VALLEY To obtain maximum enjoyment from a golf course it is essential that a player know the basic rules of golf play, golf etiquette and apply them. The regulations listed below will govern play on the Friendly Valley Country Club courses.
1. Only residents and their guests may use the golf courses. All guests must be accompanied by a resident and must pay the guest fee.
2. On the executive golf course, guests must be brought to the golf starter’s window prior to the start of play. A fee will be charged for each guest as posted at the golf starter’s window and must be paid before teeing off.
3. When the starter is on duty, do not go to the first tee until your name is called. Golfers must check in at the starter’s window before starting at any tee. [Revised 12/30/13]
4. All starting times will be at the discretion of the starter.
5. Motorized golf carts are not allowed on the course.
6. When the host does not play, it is his/her responsibility to ask a member to play with his/her guest.
7. No person is permitted to walk on the golf course unless accompanying players.
8. The rules of golf promulgated by the U.S.G.A. and as amended by local rules will govern play on the course. Those in authority may make such local rules as in their opinion are necessary to maintain the spirit of the game, preserve the course, and expedite play.
9. Each Player must have a separate set of clubs.
10. When the course has been closed for needed maintenance or weather conditions, play will not be permitted.
11. Play only one ball on a hole except as permitted by U.S.G.A. rules. A driving net has been provided for practice shots.
12. Slow players must wave following players through when there is a full hole ahead.
13. When play is crowded players should do all that is possible to speed up their play.
14. Let talk and tallying go until arriving at the next tee; leave carts and clubs on the far side of the green being played; move away from green as quickly as possible.
15. The starter shall have the privilege of completing threesomes or foursomes from waiting players. The starter on duty shall permit fivesomes on a non-interference basis.
16. Persons on the executive golf course must be at least 18 years of age. On the Pitch & Putt course children at least 12 years of age shall be allowed to play when accompanied by a resident. Exception: Wednesdays no children before 12:30 p.m. on Pitch & Putt course. A guest fee will be charged per game for each guest.
17. Pets are prohibited on the golf course and golf lounge area at all times.
18. Dress code: Players must wear suitable and appropriate clothing at all times: Sport and golf shirts, collarless shirts with sleeves, and sleeveless shirts with collars, walking shorts, and golf- or soft-soled shoes. Soft-spiked shoes are permitted, but steel-spiked shoes are not allowed. Prohibited: Shoes with heels, short shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, halter tops, tube tops, undershirts, bathing suits or bare upper torsos.
19. Repair ball marks on green.
20. Replace turf after taking divots.
21. Rake sand traps after making shot.
22. Leave golf cart or bag 10 feet from and toward rear of green while putting.
23. Abusive language or offensive activities will be grounds for suspension of golf course privileges.
24. Each Wednesday morning to 11:30 a.m. has been designated for men’s play and the availability of the Golf Lounge exclusively.
25. Each Thursday morning to 11:30 a.m. has been designated for ladies’ play and the availability of the Golf Lounge exclusively.
26. Shot Gun starts during open play are only allowed at the discretion of the Starter. With a minimum notice of 24 hours the Golf Starter may post it in the Golf Lounge.
POOL RULES AND REGULATIONS [Revised 12/30/13]
THERE ARE NO LIFE GUARDS ON DUTY PERSONS USING THE POOL DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK
POOL HOURS: 8:00 A.M. TO 10:00 P.M. LAP SWIMMING: 8:00 a.m. –10:00 a.m. CHILDREN’S HOURS: 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
1. Lap swimming is available from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. only each day. Do not enter pools while they are being cleaned.
2. The swimming pool and therapeutic hot pool are for members and their guests only. A member must accompany their guest(s) at all times, regardless of age, and is responsible for guest’s conduct and safety.
3. A member must keep their badge visible at all times while in the pool area. Badges may be displayed on a towel, tote bag, or clothing. Under no circumstances shall a member loan his badge to anyone to use the pools.
4. Everyone must shower immediately before entering the pools and must dress appropriately in swimsuits. Street clothes shall not be allowed at any time. For those persons who must protect their skin from the sun, a plain T-shirt is acceptable. Suntan lotions or oils are not permitted on swimmers.
5. FOOD AND BEVERAGES: No eating or drinking, with the exception of a plastic water bottle, within the fenced pool area. Tables and chairs outside of the fenced pool area and on the upper deck may be used while eating, as well as the picnic areas. Picnic tables must be reserved through the Business Office. The guard on duty has a record of these reservations.
6. Chairs and chaise lounges may not be reserved.
7. Anyone deliberately spitting in the pool or making a nuisance of himself/herself shall be requested to leave the area immediately.
8. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the pool fence. Receptacles are provided outside of the fence for smoking in that area. Cigarette or cigar butts are not to be thrown on the ground.
9. Floats exceeding 20”, diving equipment, and/or rafts shall not be allowed in the pool. Approved floats and/or balls are not permitted in the deep end. Pool toys are allowed during children’s hours and are issued by Security.
10. CHILDREN: a. “Children” are considered to be anyone under the age of eighteen (18) years.
b. The swimming pool area is open to children from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. The therapeutic hot pool is for adults 18 years of age and older.
c. Children too young to walk alone, in diapers (including “Huggies Little Swimmers” or similar product) shall NOT be allowed the use of the pool.
d. Children who cannot swim the width of the pool and back unassisted will not be allowed in the deep end.
11. Persons wearing wet bathing suits are not permitted in the Business Office or Auditorium. Two outdoor drinking fountains and the shower room building restrooms are available for use.
12. No running, jumping or diving into the pool.
13. Privileges to use the pool will be revoked for any person who does not shower immediately before entering the pool, or for using sun lotion or oil.
14. Lockers in the shower room are for use only while using the pool. Items are not to be left in lockers overnight.
15. Note location of life preservers and safety pole. There are NO LIFE GUARDS!